Sunday, June 29, 2008

Holiness

Today I took the kids to church for the first time since Abby started chemo over six months ago. It was great. Patrick has moved up to "Highland Kids", the service for elementary age kids, and Sarah has moved up to the "Preschool" room. I took Abby to the service with me to avoid germs in the nursery, thanks to our trusty sling.

The message today was about Holiness and how we should seek it wholeheartedly. Since my favorite verse in the Bible is 2 Corinthians 12:9, I feel led to share with you one of my biggest weaknesses. My patience! I consistently lose my patience everyday with the kids. It is so hard for me! Have you seen the movie Evan Almighty? It is a great movie; one the kids can watch. Anyway, I don't know that God really looks like Morgan Freeman, but something he said in the movie really touched me. He said that when we pray for patience that it isn't something God just gives. But rather He gives us opportunities to be patient. I think that is true.

I am asking God for more Holiness in my life. I want more patience, as it is my biggest stumbling block. The Lord gives me plenty of opportunities daily, that is for sure!

Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing and perfect will."

I really miss praise and worship. Today we sang on old hymn, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. I love it. I definitely had a God moment.

"Come thou fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing thy grace
Streams of mercy never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise His Name I'm fixed upon it
Name of God's redeeming love.

Hither to thy love has blessed me
Thou has brought me to this place
And I know thy hand will bring me
Safely home by thy good grace
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Bought me with His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above."

No comments: