Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Being The Mom on Vacation







Our vacation has been awesome so far. We have been up close & personal with lots of wildlife. We have caught crabs in the crab trap we put out off the pier here at the lagoon. We have caught little hermit crabs with our net. We saw a big heron having dinner on the beach here at the lagoon. We have seen a little tree frog- I caught it so the kids could get a good look and it peed on me! Of course we have seen fish and the kids have had fun collecting shells at the beach. Yesterday we got to see a pod of dolphin swimming down the beach. We have even seen a red fox here on the resort grounds!...

Unfortunately there are a ton of jellyfish in the ocean and the lagoon. I hope that they go away SOON so I won't worry so much about the kids getting stung. Patrick got stung on the face yesterday. Like, he came up from a wave and Jason saw the tentacle on Patrick's face. Poor baby. But he so resilient and was fine very soon after, even though it continued to be red all evening. And we have pretty much all been stung by the little particles of jellyfish floating around in the water.

It is strange to be a mom on vacation. In some ways it doesn't resemble the idea in my mind of what a vacation is: being carefree, doing what you want, when you want. Once you become a mom everything changes, especially Responsibility. Being responsible for my children is such a tough chore, but an endless blessing, don't get me wrong. It is just interesting. Even though I am on vacation I am still doing endless amounts of laundry- even more than normal with all our trips to the beach & pools. I can't really relax on the beach- I am too busy keeping a constant eye out to make sure no one drowns, gets sand in their eye, gets stung by a jellyfish, is hungry, has to go to the bathroom, or steals sand toys from each other. But it is all so worth it to see them having fun. I have to remind myself that is why we do all this work- for those smiles & laughs & those memories they will have... On a side note, thankfully I am not doing this alone. Jason is so good at helping and also we have our cousin, Emma Anne, here to help with the children. She has been fabulous and seriously I don't think I could have done the trip without her. At the ages that the children are, you just really have to have a pair of hands for everyone at all times... I wonder how Jon & Kate Plus Eight ever go anywhere!

More updates to come. Sarah is the only one up so far & I am about to make my coffee!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Welcome to blogworld! I look forward to hearing more of life in your world in this place!! Please stop by my blog any time you want. I have lots of visitors, but they're all pretty shy - not many who like to comment!

Lori Hill

Kristy said...

I absolutely love blogs because you can keep up (even when someone is on vacation!). Just so you know, I wish I could be there! Being a mother does involve sacrifice, but try to find some late night quiet time on the balcony for just you! There is nothing that compares to the calmness of simply listening the waves.

Rachael said...

I am so glad you are blogging now!!! I am also happy you guys are having fun on vacation!!! Look forward to seeing you soon. We need to do that dinner night we were talking about before. :)

TLC Mom said...

This is why I have mixed feelings about leaving for the beach this weekend!!! Two weeks in an RV at the beach will be super fun for dad and the boys but more work & stress for Mom, ugh. Hey, let's make a date for oh, say, 18 years from now... just you and me and a bunch of coffee on a Moms only trip to the beach... dare to dream! Who knows, by then we might not need coffee because we may actually be sleeping all night ;)