Monday, September 15, 2008

Camp Smile A Mile

Abby on the pontoon boat

Sarah with her new friend, Copper the camp dog



I already wrote about our stay at Camp Smile A Mile on Abby's Caringbridge site, but I wanted to write about camp from my perspective. I was blown away by the dedication & thoughtfulness of the staff & volunteers at camp. They are amazing. They do so much to make the trip unforgettable & just perfect. From our welcome there to our special goody bag they sent home, they personalized everything to fit every families needs. Besides tons of Camp SAM stuff like T shirts & car tags for us, they also sent us home with a handmade quilt for Abby & stuffed monkeys for all three kids. (A monkey is Camp SAM's mascot.)

They had activities & crafts arranged for us so that we got to bring home special pieces that we will treasure forever. They had an instructor from Corks & Canvas from Montgomery come & teach a painting class to all the Moms. I brought home my very own still life flower masterpiece! Our big family craft was a bench that we made together & will finish painting here at home.

It was especially touching that nurses, nurse practitioners, social workers & docters from clinic & from 4 Tower volunteer their time & come to serve the families & children. I can't believe how dedicated they are & how much of themselves they give. I don't know if I could do what they do. They absolutely are angels.



Many of the volunteers have been touched by childhood cancer & that is why they have chosen to serve at camp. Trust me, when Abby is off therapy & her disease is inactive, we will definitely be serving at camp. I pray that one day when Patrick, Sarah & Abby are in their teens they will be counselors.



It was great to see Patrick & Sarah getting some TLC from their counselors & making some new friends. I have felt guilt since Abby's diagnosis because so much of my energy & comforting goes to her. I am grateful that they got to feel special this weekend.

Here is a link to more pictures from this magical weekend. http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=39455&l=0d44d&id=605729855

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I think that first pic of Abby says it all! How wonderful that people give in such special ways. What if we all found our way to give and did it? What kind of difference would be made? Think we could change the world?