Friday, August 29, 2008

Velvet Elvis

I love to read. However, I am sorely behind the curve on reading current bestsellers & things I am interested in. Lately I have been making myself stay up a few minutes once I go to bed & read. I am proud to say I actually finished a book last night! It is called Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. Although I love Elvis Presley, this book is not about him, but was written by a pastor & is his view of Christianity. Here is one of my favorite quotes:

"The point of the cross isn't forgiveness. Forgiveness leads to something much bigger: restoration. God isn't just interested in the covering over of our sins: God wants to make us into the people we were originally created to be. It is not just the removal of what's being held against us: it is God pulling us into the people he originally had in mind when he made us. This restoration is why Jesus always orients his message around becoming the kind of people who are generous and loving and compassionate. The goal here isn't simply to not sin. Our purpose is to increase the shalom in this world, which is why approaches to the Christian faith that deal soley with not sinning always fail. They aim at the wrong thing. It is not about what you don't do. The point is becoming more and more the kind of people God had in mind when we were first created."

No comments: